C is a general purpose, middle level, procedure oriented programming language that supports structured programming.
C language is developed by Dennis Ritchie at Bell Labs between 1972 to 1973 for UNIX operating systems. But latterly, it has become the most widely used programming language and in 1989 C has been standardized by the ANSI and by the International Organization of Standardizations (ISO).
Why C Programming ?
C is mother of all the languages. So if you want become a software engineer than it is must for students and working professionals to learn C language. Few key points that makes C language popular –
• Easy to learn
• Structured Language
• Middle Level
• Mother of all languages
• Efficient programs
History of C
C language is developed by Dennis Ritchie at AT& T(American Telephone & Telegraph) Bell Labs between 1972 to 1973.
It is developed to be used in utilities of UNIX operating system.
It was introduced to overcome the problems of B and BCPL languages.
Features of C language
1. Easy to learn – C programs are very easy to understand because it primitives that are easy and break the problem into parts i.e. functions.
2. Efficient and Fast – Programs written in C language are efficient and fast because it has variety of data types and operators. Compilation and execution of C language is fast because it has lesser functions.
3. Portable – A program written on one machine can be run on another machine with little or no modification.
4. Middle Level – C is introduced only for lower level programming but it has also a features for high level programming language.
5. Structured Language - In structured programming we can break the program into pieces in the form of functions and then solve it. So, it makes programming easy.